Trim Runaway . . .

Subject: Trim Runaway . . .
From: Bob Nuckolls <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:08:41

>I have done multiple takeoffs with the trim in the full nose up position
>(left over from the previous touch and go)and although the stick pressures
>are a little stiff, there isn't a problem flying the plane in that
>configuration.  . . . <snip> . . .
> . . . . . My plane is very capable of
>flying with full up trim, with me forceably pushing the stick forward to
>get an adequate cruise to the closest field where I would land without
>problems.
>

>I am not saying that a trim runaway would not be a problem, I was taking
>issue with the fact that it would be difficult to land safely in one of
>these conditions.  . . .

   I am pleased that you have taken the time and trouble to explore
   the corners of the envelope on your own terms.  You have a distinct
   advantage over many other pilots (1) you've acquired some knowlege
   as to the boundries on problems you may be presented with in the
   future (2) you have "flown" the airplane and convinced yourself
   that pilot workload in any possible situations is reasonable and
   (3) should the worst happen, it isn't a total surprise for which you
   have no previously considered response. Plan B for that situation is
   alive and well in your cockpit.

   Would that all spam can pilots know their airplanes so well. Somebody
   made a statement that their particular aircraft's out of trim limts
   were no worse than a 172 and no big deal . . Hmmmm . . . There are
   three models of 172 on the field where I fly most often . . . got
   to fly Young Eagles out there next Sat . . . I think I'm going to
   spend a few minutes in each of those airplanes and see if my own
   calibration agrees with the statement.

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                      ////