Alternator Switches

Subject: Alternator Switches
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:29:20
>>There must be about 100,000,000 automobles out there running around
without a
>>switch on the alternator field.  Why is a switch so common on our little
>>airplanes.  Or is it a case where I can't find mine on all my cars and
>>motorcycles.  Someone tell me the problem of not having the switch.
>
>  Excellent question . . . and sure, the answer is simple. In airplanes,
>  the prudent way to architecture and operate an electrical system is to
>  assume that at some point, each and every electrical system component
>  is capable of failing in flight. After deducing ALL the ways an alternator
>  system can fail, one finds several conditions under which you need to have
>  separate and total control over the alternator field current. (1) the
>  alternator has become disconnected from the bus but is still drawing
>  maximum field current because the regulator thinks the alternator is
>  simply shirking . . . it applies full field current in hopes of
>  flogging the alternator to life. In flight, this is a LARGE and useless
>  drain on the battery that you'd like to conserve for running really useful
>  things. (2) You're on short final to an unplanned arrival with the earth
>  and you want a way to get all electrical sources shut down before
>  contact with the rocks, trees, whatever . . . (3) If for any reason,
>  one might turn the battery master off before stopping the engine, the
>  alternator may continue to run, self-excited but poorly regulated
>  and be a real bother to other electrical sytem parts that may object
>  to the poor quality power. There might be others but these are pretty
>  compelling.

   P.S. Actually, most automotive alternators DO have a switch. It's
   the one your key is stuck into. There's often a control line running
   from the keyswitch to the alternator's built in regulator that
   kills the alternator when the key is turned off . . . and 99.9%
   of the time, it works.  Problem that this line is not THE single
   supply source of field current . . . simply a control line to some
   itty-bitty transistors and stuff inside the regulator. If we're
   prudend in the design of our electrical system, we have to concede
   that those devices can fail to funtion . . . therefore, the stock
   control line into an automotive alternator cannot be depended upon
   for 100% authority over field current.  This is the MAIN reason
   why B&C takes perfectly good, brand new Nipon-Dienso alternators
   apart to remove and bypass the built in regulators. When you open
   the alternator field switch for a B&C alternator (as most others
   flying around our there) the alternator is OFF.

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                      ////
                     (o o)