Re: Torque Tube Lubricant

Subject: Re: Torque Tube Lubricant
From: Rolph Muller <rolph@globalvt.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:25:20
In message <199710190936.TAA00486@server3.syd.mail.ozemail.net>, Tony
Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au> writes
>this lubricant, a brand name?
Tony,
The brand leader is Molykote based in Germany but owned by Dow Corning.
It's a long time since I was selling the stuff and can't remember their
product names. The company I used to flog it for was Rocol based in the
UK, but there are distributors/stockists world wide, including a company
in Australia. Molybdenum disulphide (MOS2) is a mineral lubricant -
similar to graphite but with superior lubricating properties - it also
bonds to metal. Rocol ASP is practically a dry lubricant - the base is
pet jelly. Rocol MTLM is an alternative - grease based but with hi MOS2
content. I used the latter - the only disadvantage of the product is
that it is VERY black.
By the way, MOS2 got a bad name back in the '60's, I suppose, when it
was being pushed as a motor oil additive. However, used as as a
pretreatment for plain bearings, as an assembly lubricant or wherever
there are slow speeds and high pressures it is without equal. I also use
ASP on the TP tubes.
It's also very expensive! Well wouldn't want to use anything cheap on a
Europa, would we!! I believe you can buy in 50g tubes though.
--
Rolph Muller