Re: Tail Wheel Modification

Subject: Re: Tail Wheel Modification
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 08:24:36
Tony K and Europa Technical,
Gidday,
Now that you have already layed up your rudder closeout as per the plans how
do you propose to setup the full length hinge? There is a couple of
different ways to do this but the obvious would be to sand the areas not
already thickened for hinge reinforcement and layup onto these areas ONLY.
You could  simply sand away the thickened areas of hinge reinforcement but
as they are imbedded between the 2 bid plies of the closeout you would at
the same time destroy the top ply of the said closeout. This would then mean
you would need to reinforce the entire rudder flange full length, which
would not really add a lot of extra weight I wouldn't think. I am with you
in that the more hinge the better, especially at the bottom. What does
Europa think about this and could they explain to us builders the preference
of only 3 hinges? I would hope for an aircraft designed to be such a
thoroughbred in terms of flexible flying/aerobatics etc. that this would be
an area worth carrying additional weight just in case. Maybe there is more
to it such as an unacceptable  transferred load to the skin or something.
Anyone at Europa who can comment on the acceptability of such a mod please??
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236