Re: Ammeter Question

Subject: Re: Ammeter Question
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:23:45
 om>

>[Epplin John A]
><see original long message>
>
>One question I have:  What is the generator capacity?  I suspect the T-6
>has at least a 100 amp generator.  The ammeter shunt should be capable
>of more than the continuos capacity of the generator.  D.C. generators
>are usually capable of at least 200% rated load for a short time.

  Not if their regulators are working . . . there are three "relays"
  in a generator's regulator: reverse current cutout, voltage regulation,
  and current regulation.  Failure of the current regulation "relay"
  puts generator at risk for much smoking.

> There
>is no current regulator installed with most high capacity DC generators.
>Alternators generally are self limiting in current.  They usually will
>not produce much more than there rated output.

  Can you tell me of a system that's not current regulated. I'm trying
  to recall if there was a current reguation feature in the old carbon
  pile regulated systems . . I don't think their was. Modern starter
  generators are limited via electronics that watches the drop across
  a series compensation widing . . . a sort of quasi ammeter shunt.

>I realize this is a problem with instrumentation.  You want to be able
>to determine if the gen is working, hard to do if you only have a 10 amp
>load and a 150 amp  meter.  The answer lies in the voltmeter.  In my
>opinion the battery voltage is a better indication of the overall system
>condition than the ammeter.  For my money, I would keep the existing
>ammeter and add a voltmeter.  The ammeter could be a valuable asset in
>case of some malfunction such as a shorted cell, the amps would be high
>with normal voltage.

  Well taken. I used to believe that the battery ammeter (-0+) indicator
  was the most useful if one were to install a single instrument. 10 years
  later with the evolution of essential busses and rerouting of the alternator
  b-lead to the starter contactor, that type of ammeter is difficult to
  implement. Besides, you still need a "battery gas gage" for alternator
  out operations.  Soooooo . . . an alternator load meter AND a voltmeter
  are good things to have.

>I do like your idea of calibrating the instrument in percent load and
>installing the appropriate shunt.  This is really what you are
>interested in anyway.  The pilot should know what % to expect as normal
>for the conditions.

   It also reduces the number of ammeters I have to inventory!

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////