RE: Calibrating Engine RPM

Subject: RE: Calibrating Engine RPM
From: Eric Evers <evers@mcmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:34:38
After a long delay I got an answer from a friend who is an engineer in the
UK electricity generating industry.  He informs me:-
"There are no specified limits on frequency.
The normal variation is from 49.85  to 50.15Hz.
Load shedding takes place if it falls to 49.5Hz"

So I reckon that in the U.K. at least the mains frequency strobe method
would give you an accuracy of 0.3% if you avoid
obvious high demand times.

Another Idea:
        Did you notice on the 'Air Show' programme  (BBC-2 yesterday) that the

PA28 on base leg had the prop appearing to be running at 30 rpm?  So try
watching your prop on a monitor / video camera set-up and see what you can
work out from that.

Eric Evers
Largs, Ayrshire,
SCOTLAND  -  UK