Metal parts surface treatment

Subject: Metal parts surface treatment
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:22:45
Greetings:

        I am builder of #A064. As restorer and pilot at the Candn. Warplane
Heritage
Museum, I am aware of the precautions to be taken in the protection  against
corrosion and am keen to ensure the best integrity of the supplied Europa
parts.  IN ORDER not to re-invent sliced bread, I would like to invite comment
on the following, or share thoughts on same.

        Throught the museum, I have made contact with a local forensic
engineering
firm and will submit my work on surface preparation of the supplied
stamped/nibbled
metal bits for their comment prior to the following treatment (which
is intended to forestall early corrosion due to the Canadian climate.......
acid rain,  and large temp changes, etc):

        Surface Procedure:       ELECTROSOAK         10 min
                              HCl ACID                 1 min (NOT hard
anodyzing)
                              ELECTROCLEAN          5 min
                              ZINC PLATE          7 min
                              WATER RINSE          dip
                              ZINC DICHROMATE          dip   (.002-.004 in.)

        Any comments on the above joyfully received.

Happy Landings

Ferg Kyle