Door Latches-Outer Handle

Subject: Door Latches-Outer Handle
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:01:15
No doubt this has been done before however here is an alternative way to making
the
outer handle which worked well for me.
1.I shaped DL01 to the same profile as the wing using the 'Co-ordinates for
template'on

page 9-12, scaled down to fit the length of DL01.
2.Using some small offcuts of foam I shaped the foam to fit DL01 and shaped the
"tip" as
one did for the stabilator.(Span=2.5cm approx)
3.I reversed the bolt AN3-12A. Drill a small hole in the foam to allow room for
the bolt
head and washer.
4. I then placed DL04 into the outer handle and with washers placed a nut to
keep
DL01
and DL04 together.
5. Place in a vice. I then placed dabs of rapid epoxy to the bottom face of the

foam(away from the edges) and in the drilled hole to cover bolt head. Then glue
to DL01.
6.Once cured cut two pieces of BID to fit over foam handle.Dry micro any dents
and
then micro slurry the foam. Layup the two BID pieces overlapping DL01 edges by
1/2 cm.
7.Allow to cure and then sand back the cloth to DL01.
Result was very pleasing.Streamlined and because of its shape some extra lift
for
the
bird!!!!!!
Cheers