UK CAA Certification Requirements

Subject: UK CAA Certification Requirements
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 20:04:01
Gidday,
Downunder one of our builders in the process of satisfying our CAA "First of
Type Certification". I need to know if the certification requirements of the
Europa in the UK allows it unlimited access to airspace if appropriately
equipped, such as with a transponder. I have heard that in the UK, as in the
US, Europa aircraft are registered with a civil registration but however
clasify them as experimental aircraft. This creates a limitation whereby
they are denied access to certain types or airspace, and also certain
airports.  For registration such that enables unlimited airspace access, our
CAA require a full, locally validated, flight program. We have a recent
change to our regulations that requires our Civil Aviation Authority to
respect the judgement of other recognised overseas Authorities such as UK
CAA and the FAA. It may be that our Authority should execute a full local
study for issue of a Certificate of Airworthiness with unlimited airspace
restriction. It could also be that we are experiencing the problems of a big
inefficient and self supporting Authority. For example, the effected builder
is being blocked requiring 2 Licenced Aircraft Engineers to sign the
aircraft logbook to state that all the flight controls have been correctly
attached! The only area of doubt I believe is with the tailplane tab, but as
we all know a thorough preflight and the mandatory preflight control check,
will highlight any oversight. Imagine having to find a LAME every time you
plug your spars home. We definitely do not have a practical perspective
being applied, and now have to justify the design and supply precedents.
Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236