Variable pitch propellers

Subject: Variable pitch propellers
From: Jerry <jerry@flyinghi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 21:53:32
As a main player you all should know my position.
Etiquette means I shouldn't advertise and indeed I don't want to.
Not here anyway, but I would like to pass on what little knowledge I have.

I note Bill said the VP greatly increased cockpit workload.
I actually flew behind the Arplast VP for the first time at Cranfield. (on
the Dyn Aero Ban-bi)
Dyn Aero had the main control on the panel and slave controls on both
control sticks, on MAC grips.

I have to say I didn't find the workload too bad but yes it is another
thing to think about and I'll continue to suggest Europa ( and other pilots
) start with a normal prop and go wobbly once they are happy with all the
other controls. Apart from anything else a standard prop is much cheaper to
stick into the ground than a wobbly.

Most noticeable effect will be on the take off and climb.
It allows the full potential of the engine to be used.
There may be a small increase in top speed (not more than a few kts in our
experience)
You can use a lot less RPM in the cruise which may reduce engine wear and
will certainly reduce engine noise and pilot fatigue. Fuel consumption
though is unlikely to change much.

A lot of pilots have asked about servicing.
It is not expected that there will be any official notice relating to the
Arplast at least.
I should think it would be the same for the NSI.
After lots of experience a sensible service schedule will be adopted (I
suspect different for each type of prop).
Parts that have shown signs of wear in high hour installations will require
replacement at agreed periods.
The Arplast prop can be stripped down by the owner who if he has built his
own aircraft should be capable with his inspector to carry out anticipated
checks and overhauls.
For those who don't want to we will probably be able to do it for them.

Of course I'll be delighted to answer any questions on the Arplast VP prop.

Jerry