Re: Mandatory Mod. 40 (but carb heat)

Subject: Re: Mandatory Mod. 40 (but carb heat)
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:42:55

>> Europa haven't fitted carb heat, so I doubt that it will be included in the

>mod.
>> They have been looking for carb icing for a year and ain't found it .
>There's
>> always a yet (8-<)     Not too difficult to include, especially if you
>> anticipated it when you built your throttle box.

<snip>

Both Mainair and Pegasus have found the hard way that 912's in
trikes certainly suffer from very acute carb icing. Cronic in fact.

Mainair have a system where they preheat the fuel a bit.  I have
heard, (though not experienced it myself) that this system is not
100% effective in colder conditions.  I rather imagine it might
cause problems in hotter conditions too though I have not heard of
any complaints or problems.

Pegasus use a coiled hot water pipe around the air filters.  There
is a tap to switch it off though it is normally left on all the
time.   It is simple, compact, light and very effective;  Having
flown this machine in a variety of extreme conditions, it never
iced on me once, not even during an idle descent from 11,000 ft
into a cool and rather damp Northern Italy.

I believe Pegasus offer a kit for sale, alternatively just take a
look at one of their Quantum 912's and copy it.  Far better than
hot air boxes and masses of that awful red ducting.

Regards;

Richard Meredith-Hardy
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net  Tel: 01462 834776 FAX: 01462 732668
BMAA Foot Launched Microlights Office.