Nuisance trips by design?

Subject: Nuisance trips by design?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 01:00:23

  /I too have wondered about the statement "Designed with Nuisance Breakers."
  /I will wait with you for the explanation.

   I think I said, "with breaker installations designed to nuisance trip."
   Here's the rational behind that statment:

    Dozens of folk who've attended my forums and seminars have attested to the

    same experience I've had with contemporary power distribution systems
    in light airplanes. Master switch left on and battery is flat on a cold
    morning and you start the airplane with ground power. You're ready to
    lauch into the clouds so EVERYTHING gets turned on for departure. A cold
    alterntor will put out MUCH more . . . as much as 10-15% more than a hot
    one so as you take off, the alternator is willing to power up the whole
    airplane -AND- try to recharge a flat battery.  A 60 amp breaker may carry
    70 amps for some time . . . or if it's an old breaker and drifted down a
    little, it trips some time after departure.  I've never flown a stock
    production airplane with a low bus volts warning light so the flight
    generally proceeds "normally" until things start dying . . . which isn't
    very long after because the battery never got fully recharged.

    Sometimes, resetting the breaker gets things back up and running and if
    you've punched into the clear above the clouds, this flight and subsequent
    flights don't experience the problem again  . . . for awhile.

  /I do however have most of the facts concerning the 50 amp breakers used in
  /many Cessna and Piper Aircraft.There were a lot of problems with these
breakers

  /tripping for no apparent reason.I have personally verified this condition
  /on dozens of aircraft.

  /The one main reason that a lot of folks were upset is the fact that neither

  /Cessna,Piper,or the manufacturer of the breaker would not accept the
  /responcibility for the defect and had to pay for the replacement.

    This is the down-side of regulation. If, for example, under part 43 rules
    we were automatically allowed to upsize any circuit in the airplane as
    long as the wire and breaker size rules were observed, a larger circuit
    installation would fix the problem.  Some breakers are indeed on the "weak"
    side and tend to become nuisance trippers . . . especially the larger sizes.
    Fortunately, they seem to drift downward instead of upward although I've
    heard tales on Beech's piston line that they've discovered breakers that
    refused to trip.  I've asked to receive such a breaker for evaulation but
    haven't seen one yet . . . this may be legend.

    But consider the manufacturer's dilemma.  The rules of conduct under
    Parts Manufacturing Authority requires a manufacturer to report and
    describe corrective action for any defects in design and manufacturing
    of it's products or componenents used in it's products.  If the breaker
    problem can be classified random failure or end-of-service-life there's
    no reason to react.  If a manufacturer were to acknowlege the "defect"
    then flags go up all over the place. Many times, they're unnoticed but even
    trivial problems can become mountains of paperwork and associated expense
    if some rule-book wielding do-gooder in the FAA really wants to look good
    for his boss.

    The very rules that were set in place to "protect" the unwary flying
    consumer are the very rules that guarantee the same consumer has to
    put up with problems that were literally designed into the airplane.

 /OK Bob, you've got my attention. I agree that a properly designed electrical

 /system should not cause fuses, or breakers, to trip unless a fault condition

 /arose . . . . <snip>. . . Now, I give you the opportunity to educate us!  HOW

 /(so we won't do the same thing), and WHY (to expand our understanding and
convince

 /us not to do it), would a commercial aircraft manufacturer DESIGN nuisance
 /tripping of breakers into an aircraft electrical system?

   Well, they didn't do it on purpose. It's interesting to have observed the
   evolution of light plane systems design from close range . . . in many cases
   I've worked directly with the people who made many of those decisions.
   I hope it's VERY CLEAR that the reason these conditions exist on
   certified ships is that our crystal ball wasn't all that good 30 years
   ago and in hindsight, it would most likely be different today. But the
   consequences of bringing such problems and their solutions to light in
   today's economic conditions in our litigious society have ramifications
   far beyond the effort required to simply fix the problem.

   As builders of the finest, most modern single engine aircraft ever flown,
   we are able to enjoy and take advantage of our hindsight; both in current
   designs and from experiences past.  If a problem hops up, we can fix it
   right now and freely share the knowlege with others without having to
   run it past the engineering, marketing, finance and legal departments or be

   harrassed by government for any reason.  So, it's not a matter of of
   convincing anyone how NOT to do it, it's more a task of convincing people
   that no matter what proplems are presented, it can be fixed with no fanfare
   or great expense.  The difficult part is evaluating our collective
   experiences with certified ships for applicability to the experimental
   airplane.  The overwhelming experience base in the former can make us
   unjustifiably fearful of the latter.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection