cooling fans

Subject: cooling fans
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:26:49
        Kitfox List <kitfox@lists.csn.net>

 >Make sure that you test those low cost  non aircraft cooling fans for RFI
 >before you install them. I tried to install one of those one time and it
 >produced so much noise in the electronics that I had to remove it.

  >>Anyway, I worked on Office Machine repair for about 6 years
  >>and one of the biggest problems we had with any digital
  >>equipment including memory typewriters, computers, printers,
  >>etc., was with the cooling fans sending spikes out and messing
  >>up everything.

  >>I ALWAYS carried 2 fans for every piece of equipment I serviced
  >>because even the new ones sometimes would be bad.  Some of these
  >>itty bitty motors cost $200-$300 so cost doesn't mean everything
  >>.......Just, if you do install one and all your electronics start
  >>doing some strange things, check the fan.

   Virtually all small d.c. fans are really a.c. driven motors with
   little solid state, d.c. to a.c. inverters built in. They come
   in thousands of sizes and ratings to accomodate the consumer electronics
   businesses . . . especially computers.

   If you find that any of these fans makes some noise or affects
   a piece of avionics, it's not difficult to add the necessary filters

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////
                  (o o)
    oOOo(_)oOOo
    |  Go ahead, make my day . . .  |
    |   Show me where I'm wrong.    |

    72770.552@compuserve.com
    http://www.aeroelectric.com

   right at the fan to fix the problem. Most modern designs include
   adequate filtering but if a fan causes difficulties, let's talk
   filters before you rip it out . . . .