Key West Regulator

Subject: Key West Regulator
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:11:47
 /I received my new Key West Regulator and have a couple questions.
 /First, the new reg is not heat synched with any cooling fins.  I
 /plan to mount it on the inside of the Firewall directly to the inside
 /padding.  Should it be mounted on standoffs to provide some air flow
 /in behind it?   Don't know how hot the thing gets.

   It DOES heat up . . . check the instructions closely. Make sure
   they don't recommend mounting against some metal surface. Many
   power products that don't have fins depend on metal mouting surface
   to to reject heat.

 /Second, does the SS provided noise capacitor hook up the same?

   Yes

 /Third, the schematic provided by Key West shows two ways to hook
 /it up.  One with and one without a Battery system.  The Battery system
 /hookup shows hooking the output of the regulator directly to the A/C
 /Battery and not through any switch.  This method provides no
 /seperation in case of failures in the battery or the regulator.

  Bad idea . . .

 / I plan to bring in the battery power through a master solonoid and make
 / the connection to the regulator inside the A/C.  Doesn't this make
 / more sense?  This way, you can kill the master solonoid and still have
 / regulated power available from the regulator.  With another regulator
 / switch, you can kill the regulator and use battery only.  Seems like
 / the best of both worlds.  What do you think?

   I recommend that ov protection be included . . . those regulators CAN
   fail and they'll drive the bus voltage right on up there . . .
   A small (1 cubic inch) 30-amp relay can be added in series with the
   regulator output and controled via switch and circuit breaker just
   like on big airplanes.  A crowbar ov module across the relay coil
   will provide automatic shutdown of a failed alternator.  I can
   supply schematics and bill of materials to anyone who will send me
   their mailing address. I also have ov modules assembled and tested
   for those who choose to buy rather than build.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////