Re: Europa_Mail:flying the monowheel

Subject: Re: Europa_Mail:flying the monowheel
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:44:19
---From my experience (not a lot of hours, but a fair amount of types) landings
and take-offs with the monowheel is no more difficult than any other
conventional geared (taildragger) aircraft -and easier than many.

The important points are:

Get proper instruction in taildragger techniques; 5 hours is a minimum, and
10-15 is more realistic. 2000 hours of experience in trikes won't reduce the
requirement compared to a 100 hour PPL -it's down to the individual pilot.

Study and obey the Europa specific techniques (tailwheel on the ground until
40 kt, etc) and don't make it up as you go along... with considerable (at
least 50+ hours) experience under your belt, you can then start to
experiment with variations.

I think that this is the perfect forum for flying discussions, perhaps
prefaced with "flying" so that ex-builders can filter out the building
stuff... And the rest of us poor ******* can have something to look forwards
to as we toils away in mountains of blue foam, seas of epoxy, and drifts of
fairlite dust. What would be most useful is details of airframe
weights/CG/equipment/mods/engine/prop/performance as well as discussions of
technique, problems and so on.

Ah well. back to the squeegee.

Miles