RE: Gas Tank Grounding ?

Subject: RE: Gas Tank Grounding ?
From: Mark Beekhuizen <MarkB@ihd.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 17:33:48
Hi from South Africa.

Restrictions on our "experimental" aircraft are less severe here,
consequently many South African homebuilders have been running their
engines (certified and other) on Mogas for many years. We thus have some
experience with filling from containers or fuel pumps, especially into
ungrounded fuel tanks. The big bang theory is alive, our lost loss was
beautiful Skybolt that burnt to the ground in less than three minutes.
Two problems arise.
1. The sloshing has created some potential in the tank, and upon
bringing the fuel filler nozzle (earthed nicely) to the tank - poooooof.
2. The process of fuel transfer (from a pump or siphon from a container)
generates static as the tank fills (swirling sloshing and fuel movement
through the filler hose) - pooooof.

Most of us have a "little bare wire" with a weight on it that we drop
into the tank and connect with a crocodile clip to the fuel filler
nozzle (done physically away from the opening of the tank) avoiding poof
no 1 by moving the spark (if any) away from the fuel filler with its
lovely source of vapours. The filler nozzle is then brought to the tank
and left connected during the filling process avoiding poof no 2.

The downside - you need an accessory that has to be left in your plane.
Hope this helps or perhaps you can develop a variation on the theme!!

Regards
Mark Beekhuizen
(no decision to purchase the kit yet, or should I just buy that Glastar
instead?)