Power consumption and Jabiru Flight

Subject: Power consumption and Jabiru Flight
From: Carl Reynaud <CarlReynaud@ccmail.eo.ray.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 08:35:26
     Following on from Duncan's comment about the 10A limit for the Jabiru
     alternator, I thought I'd do a quick power calculation for my proposed
     panel.  One significant bit of info I'm lacking is the power drawn by
     the engine instruments, ie tacho, oil temp/press, CHT.  The factory
     schematic shows these 4 (plus voltmeter) supplied by a 2 amp breaker,
     ie 500 mA per instrument!  This seems to be rather high.  I've looked
     through all of my catalogues and none quote the current spec, can any
     one help please?

     As far as the actual engine goes, it is very quiet and smooth.  I was
     lucky enough to fly in the demonstrator at Popham this weekend.  The
     flight was fairly brief, just one wide circuit.  The airspace was
     rather busy, so I spent more time concentrating on looking out than
     examining the engine/performance figures.  At one stage I removed my
     headset and was still able to clearly hear the pilot (despite the
     aircraft having no sound insulation on the firewall).  There was some
     slight vibration through the floor, but I suspect that was more
     airstream generated because the panel/seats etc were perfectly still.
     On startup/shutdown there was none of the wild shaking you see on the
     912.

     Once back on the ground I was reliably informed what a wonderful
     little aircraft it was by a passing spectator.  He spent some time
     extolling the virtues of its handling, quietness etc etc.  "By the
     way, I'm Bob Coles, Chief Test Pilot for the CAA", enough said!
      (Hope this doesn't inflate the antipodean's ego too much :-))

     Please bear in mind that I have very little experience, but in my eyes
     this little egnine could be a winner.

     Cheers

     Carl Reynaud #159