Nice Panel Solution

Subject: Nice Panel Solution
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 10:39:11
While at Sun 'n Fun I saw a couple of Europa panels that had been finished off
by Eastern Avionics. Instead of cutting the instrument holes in the Europa panel
itself they had made up the panels in sheet aluminium and then mounted these
on the front of the Europa panel. To accommodate the instruments they had simply
made a large hole in the front of the Europa panel. The finish looked very
tidy and added no extra weight as the aluminium weighed the same as the combined
glass and ply removed from the panel. The greatest benefit I see from this
sort of construction is that you can do all of you instrument cutting out of
sheet aluminium and if you get it wrong you simply start again without too much
hassle.

I am going to email Eastern Avionics and see if they will make the two panel
pieces
available to save the trouble of measuring it out again. I thought it might
me a good idea to see if they would supply them with the base 6 instrument
holes already done as almost every Europa I have seen so far seems to be
settling
on six 3 1/8 instruments as their core configuration. (Other than GC of course
:))

Tony
#272        Second spar levelled and wing blocks (almost) aligned. This one is
going to be messier than the first as the mid core block has a devious curve!

Tony Krzyzewski            Kaon Technologies Ltd
Managing Director          PO Box 9830
Ph 64 9 358 9124          Auckland
Fx 64 9 358 9127           New Zealand
tonyk@kaon.co.nz