Re: Door Security

Subject: Re: Door Security
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:13:11

> >I don't think that is a valid argument. The door warning is there to
provide
> >confirmation that the door is closed. It has already been shown that an
> >experienced pilot can believe the door bolt to be home when it in fact
isn't.
> >An electronic indicator (as found on the majority of family cars these
days!)
> >is a simple and effective mechanism to ensure that the bolts are in fact
in
> >place.
>
> I think it's a very valid argument.  What does the lazy pilot who can't be
> bothered to check physically whether  the door is closed do when the
> electric alarm fails to work?   It must be added that when the rear shoot
> bolt is not engaged it is evident if you look at the base of the door only
> inches from the front.....if you look!

I suppose it all depends upon the professionalism of the pilot. I intend
doing a thorough check but I also intend having a backup in the form of the
indicator lights. It is the same procedure I use when lowering the gear on
the 177RG - I check the light and I physically check the gear down as well.
Once the procedures are drilled home it becomes a self checking mechanism and
therefore safer. One day, just one day, I might forget to check the shoot
bolt correctly and that is where the backup mechanism may save me. It is not
there to replace the physical check but is there to remind me to do the
physical check.

Tony

Tony
Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz