Re: trim in motion warning

Subject: Re: trim in motion warning
From: Europa Aviation Ltd <enquires@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:28:17
Graham wrote:

>I  would agree.....  the standard rocker switch has a proven reliability
>problem, regularly sticking on  mine.  Someone knew something when they added
>the trim isolate switch

I have experienced trim runaway on two aircraft I have been checking out,
and both times it was cancelled by simply pressing the rocker switch in the
opposite direction.

For me this was the natural thing to do to combat the increasing out-of-trim
forces.  I didn't find myself looking for the switch or C.B. to stop the
trim motor running; however I would have used it if it hadn't stopped
running even though the motor should cut out at the end of its travel.

In both of the cases above, the solution was to make the hole for the switch
a little wider.  It was found that a tight fit for the switch can distort
the case enough to cause it to stick.

I saw the reply to part of a message which mentioned adding up-trim whilst
in the flare during landing.  As we've lost some messages while we were off
line I thought I'd add the following points:-

Don't trim your Europa in the flare for the following reasons:-

1.      As you trim nose up the trim tab moves down.  You may find that you
are just about at full aft stick for a perfect two-point landing (in a
forward c.of g. case) and by trimming nose up you will lose up elevator
effectiveness.

2.      The Europa trim system is quite powerful and the last thing you want
is an over trim close to the ground.

3.      In the event of a go-around the nose will pitch up slightly
requiring down trim.  Not alarming when trimmed for the approach.

4.      The aircraft should be trimmed for the approach and the stick forces
are not high in the flare.  In what other light aircraft is it standard
practice to trim in the landing phase?

Regards
Andy