Wheel jacks and one use for a reaction plate.

Subject: Wheel jacks and one use for a reaction plate.
From: Rolph Muller <rolph@globalvt.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:46:52
Maybe someone has thought of this before, but one way of lifting the
aircraft to change a tyre etc., is to lift on the arch on the swinging
arm. This is where the spare reaction plate ( if you've got one after
doing the full damper mod) comes in. A third bolt hole suitably placed
and three short bolts or pins welded into the plate can form an arc to
fit the top of the swinging arm - bit of spare fuel hose on each pin and
you've got a lifting plate. All that is needed now is a threaded rod
through the eyes of the plate with nuts either side and we're nearly
there. Weld the ends of the rod to two scissor jacks (not just tacked on
- make a solid housing for each) - there isn't room really to put them
in line and drive them with one thread - so they need to be parallel,
one either side of the wheel. Angle the plate so that it's face fits
aginst the face of the swinging arm ( it will be necessary to grind a
little of the bottom of the plate away to clear the tyre) and tighten up
the nuts so that the plate doesn't move when you pull the lot away. Then
weld the eyes to the rod/nuts so that the angle of the plate is fixed
permanently - and there you go. Now I just need a lightweight
collapsible version!
Hope you understand all that and if anyone can think of a use for my
other reaction plate, please let me know.
--
Rolph Muller