Batteries

Subject: Batteries
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:23:29
/Anyone contemplating fitting a gel type battery
/should perhaps have a word with Europa first. . .

  I've not heard Europa's recommendations about
  batteries but be aware of the fact that the "gel"
  cell as we used to know and love them is nearly
  extinct . . . the new gas recombinant batteries
  are often called "gel" cells and nothing could be
  further from the truth.

  In fact, the orignal gel-cell is the poorest
  peforming battery aircraft battery ever.
  It did have some desirable traits, they were less
  messy than flooded batteries but they could still
  leak a little and their cranking performance was
  dismal compared to flooded batteries.

  Except for a few hangers-on, most companies
  have quit building the old gel cell.  The newer
  gas recombinant technologies are sealed and contain
  so little liquid that you can't make 'em leak
  if you drill a hole through the side.  If built
  properly, they crank like a ni-cad and will out
  perform a flooded battery by 200-300% for cold
  weather cranking. The flooded battery will
  out perform a gell cell by another 200% or so
  when it comes to cold weather performance.

  When offered a battery, don't assume that because
  it is "sealed" that it's a gel cell.  I've been
  doing certifications and STC's for the RG battery
  into single engine airplanes here in the US and
  have run them in my cars.  For an airplane, I
  wouldn't have any other kind.

      Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection