Aileron Cores

Subject: Aileron Cores
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:01:17
Being an inquisitive sort of person I recently placed my two aileron cores on
top
of each other just to see if they had the same washout (which they did). What
surprised me was that the port aileron was 7mm longer than the port aileron.
After some head scratching I examined the cores carefully and sure enough, the
main aileron cores are of different length.

I wrote a fax to Europa, sent it off and today received a reply.

I beg Andy's forgiveness for publishing his reply but I do think it is important
enough for other builders to see....

"The aileron tooling has been checked and found to have the anomaly you have
found
in your cores.

It appears that the shorter dimension is correct and you may have to sand the
end
of one aileron to avoid it fouling with either the flap or the wing tip.

Apologies for any inconvenience"

What amazes me is that I am builder number 272 and the first to have actually
noticed
it. But then again, how many other people try to mate ailerons for a hobby
:)

As I am having to remake my port aileron because the washout is wrong I am going
to reduce the new core length at the same time so I have my ailerons the same
length at layup time.

The new aileron layup procedure to reduce the factory supplied washout of 1.4
degrees
to the required 0.6 degrees is very easy to do. I followed Miles' recommendation
to micro the core gap to the bench once the end is shimmed up. The new
procedure only adds around 20 minutes to the layup time.

Tony
#272 [Looking forward to some sun 'n fun after a summer of cyclones]
Tony Krzyzewski            Kaon Technologies Ltd
Managing Director          PO Box 9830
Ph 64 9 358 9124          Auckland
Fx 64 9 358 9127           New Zealand
tonyk@kaon.co.nz