Re: Re: Ambiguities????

Subject: Re: Re: Ambiguities????
From: europa aviation ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:38:13
> The first is attached below, and simply requires builders to countersink a
>hole through the spar from 5mm on one wing to 15 mm on the other.

Let me try to put your mind at rest concerning the depth of counterbore in
the port spar for the AN4-31A bolt to carry the CS15P bearing.  I agree that
my wording of counterboring "slightly deeper" may have been the trigger for
all the e-mail traffic on this subject.  The counterbore cuts through the
shear web of the spar, which is only about 1.5mm thick, therefore the depth
of counterbore is irrelevant.  The interruption in the shear web caused by
the 19mm hole does not put the spar in jeopardy.  The marine ply core which
is counterbored provides a shear medium for the upper and lower spar caps,
and holds the spar caps apart.  This discussion has prompted me to call for
the counterbored holes to be filled with flox, and the manual will be
amended accordingly.

>The second topic was the one where a factory endorsed fix for a short rudder
>was to slice the fuselage in several locations and pull it up to match the
>rudder. The only opinion I have read about this method was very well put,
>and in my opinion quite restrained, something to do with a kitchen table.

Regaring the issue of the rudder, I think that the story has been distorted
in the repeated telling.

The customer in question was mainly unhappy with the gap he found between
the port side of the rudder and the rear flange of the fuselage.  He did
also regard the rudder to be too short.

In his desire to reduce this gap he requested that he may modify the rear
fuselage, which was approved as there was no aerodynamic or other detriment.
This modification was not required by Europa, and of the nearly 300
customers working on their fuselages, this particular request has been made
only once.

Since this issue has started to be heavily discussed I have checked a number
of Europas and found there to be variations in the dimension from fin tip to
the bottom of the fuselage.  The minimum was 135.4 cm and the maximum 137
cm.  Clearly this scatter is caused by variations in the jointing of the
fin, upper and lower fuselage mouldings.

There will be a slight gap between the lower edge of the rudder and the
fuselage bottom, otherwise the rudder may foul the fuselage.  A small step
here certainly won't create extra drag as the airflow will be separated here
already.

I hope this answers the concerns raised on these two points.

Andy
Web Site at www.europa-aviation.co.uk
     Fax No 44 1751 431706