Strobes - fact and fiction

Subject: Strobes - fact and fiction
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:18:09
>>>I just helped a friend install Whelens on a LongEZ.  The
>>>Whelen book  said these exact things.  Use the strobes
>>>regularly or the capacitor  may need to be reformed.
>>>Instructions are included for reforming.

    Larry, can you quote us the specific instructions that
    Whelen publishes for "reforming"

>>I have read the same thing.  I think it even says this in the
>>owners manual or warrenty info you get with your strobes.
>> I had mine stored for about 3 yrs and they still worked OK so I
>>don't think it is a major problem.

>>This is the classic case of 'use it or loose it'.

 > Where did you get your facts for this piece of information? I have a set of

 > new Whelan's that won't be used for a while yet. I've never heard of this.

 > Maybe Bob Nuckolls would care to comment?

    Sure. This is a piece of hagar-lore that has been fertilized too much.
    Strobe light systems in airplanes and cameras are brothers. They utilize
    a hollow tube filled with xenon gas and fitted with electrodes at each
    end of the tube.  A high (300-500 volt) dc potential is placed on the
    two electrodes.  A third electrode is not even stuck through the glass,
    it's simply a wire or band wound around the outside of the glass. The third
    electrode is "spiked" with a 2,000 to 5,000 volt pulse (from a tiny coil
    that acts like an ignition coil for a VERY small engine) the xenon gas is
    driven into conduction and begins to emit an intense, white (acually multi-
    colored) light.

    The ENERGY in that flash of light is determined by the size of an
electrolytic
    capacitor and the voltage to which it is charged.  The general equation for
    energy in a capacitance storage system is C*E*E/2=J where C is capacitance
    in Farads, E is volts and J is watt-seconds or Joules.  Let's say we're
    going to charge a 100 microFarad capacitor to 330 volts.  330 squared times
    100 times 10 to the minus 6th power divided by 2 is 5.45 Joules.  If the
    capacitor is allowed to charge completely between flashes -AND- if the
    tube is in good shape, one may expect a 5 joule flash per ignition.
Further,
    if one wished to get 10 joules per flash, either the size of the capacitor
    has to be doubled -OR- the voltage must be raised by about 40%.

    Electrolytic capacitors have been around for about 60 years. Back in the
    vacuum tube days, all electronic devices required elevated voltages in
    the 100 to 300 volt range and capacitors with high voltage ratings were
    very common for power supply hum filtering.  Nowadays, photoflash systems
    are one of the very few systems that still use this venerable technology.

    The capacitors are formed by winding two long, thin strips of alluminum up
    in a jelly-roll like configuration with a chemical coating between the
layers.
    When the assembly is complete, a voltage is applied which causes chemical
    changes to take place making one connection (+) and the other (-) with
    respect to applied voltage. The chemistry also becomes the media in which
    electrons are stored.  It is true that LONG periods of inactivity should
    be avoided for this chemistry to achieve and maintain peak performance.
    Back in my early amateur radio days, it was not uncommon to find an old
    capacitor whos value had dropped by 50% or more due to inactivity. Further,

    it's leakage (losses) current went up.

    The fix was to apply rated voltage to the capacitor through a large (100,000
    ohm resistor) for up to a day.  The resistor would limit current flow
    while the power supply gently stirred the chemistry back to life.  In a
    period of time ranging from hours to days, the capacitor's leakage will
    have gone down and it's capacitance would be up.

    Modern electrolytics have a "shelf life" rated in years.  When I fire
    up a stobe system who's vintage and utilization are unknown, I'll run
    some quick leakage checks on the capacitors just to be sure they're
    not going to overheat.  Then, I might cycle the strobe system up with
    low bus voltage (9-10 volts) for a few hours and then raise it up to
    normal over the next four or five hours.  This is an EXTREME measure
    that I've seldom had to apply.  For the most part, if I know a strobe
    system has been inactive for many years . . . I'll simply replace the
    capacitors. They're probably dried somewhat and they DO have a service/
    storage life limit.

    For a new system to require monthly attention is absurd. If a manufacturer
    recommends this, you need to write and question their capacitor source.
    I suspect it's easier to predict the worst and require the most of customers
    for care and feeding of their product - it may help at warranty adjustment
    time but if I were building stobe systems, I'd use a good quality photo
    flash capacitor and ask my customers to put their system into service
    within two years.

    Any new system should come out of the starting gate just fine from a
    storage period of 2 years.  If one measures the light output from
    a strobe system that's been in storage, the light output may be down
    a few percent but it will recover nicely in the first few hours of usage.

    Hope this helps chase a few "gremlins" from the workshop.

      Regards,

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                      ////