Round Pip Pin Holes

Subject: Round Pip Pin Holes
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 21:46:27
Graham,
Recently you mentioned that the pip pin holes could in fact be round. I also
read a tip about using a lathe to shape a PVC end pipe fitting for a 1 1/2"
diameter. This results in a flush cap for the pip pin which needs a key
similar to an angle grinder to open it. This method also keeps water out! I
have a feeling this method may have been yours originally, but irrespective
its a great idea. You mention Gernot Schwetz's pip pin tool. I want to
incorporate such a system into my a/c and need to know a bit more about this
tool please? I like the idea of having redundancy should the pip pin
internals give way. I have already heard about industry people who do not
trust pip pins. I also feel there is no need to have a way for water to
penetrate the internals of the tailplanes. I appreciate the quantity would
be small, however it needn't be. I will however install the drain just in
case! Any help from yourself, or anyone else would be appreciated.
Regards
Tony Renshaw
The Aussie Connection