Re: Pip Pin Covers

Subject: Re: Pip Pin Covers
From: skypilot <skypilot@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 08:47:55
Gramin@AOL.com wrote:

> If you want a cheap and cheerful solution, use plastic closures from
> orange-juice packs. Can give you the brand if you want, but if you browse the
> supermarkets you will probably find lots of products use them. The surround
> almost exactly fits the original hole, so can be recessed and glued in, and
> the "hinge" is along a short side, so you can orient it to the front. Snaps
> in with finger pressure, and though I have not tested it in anger, there is
> no way the suction will open it if you avoid distortion when you build it in.
>
> Another one for your list Tony ?
>
> Graham C

This sounds like a very good idea but what sort of life expectancy does
the hinge have? Not having seen one, I imagine the actual hinge is the
squeezed thin plastic type. I would think the hinges are designed for a
very limited life expectancy/use. Another consideration would be the UV
breakdown of the plastic used. Do not manufacturers, these days use
plastic which breaks down under UV to be environmentally friendly?

Regards

Denys Gover.