tri-gear conversion

Subject: tri-gear conversion
From: David Dufton <dufton@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 21:14:44
I have discovered that one of the major benefits of the tri-gear version of
the Europa is that large tracts of the mono-wheel tunnel, euphemistically
known as the "passenger arm rest" can effectively be dispensed with - but
you have to know WHICH tracts ..

In order to know how the tunnel could be safely modified from the factory
mono-wheel norm, I asked Barry Mellers at Slingsby Aviation to carry out a
stress analysis of the structure.  As most of you will know, Barry is an
expert in this field, and has been involved with Europa Aviation from the
early days in stress-related matters, so he knows the airframe ...

Barry is in the process of putting together his final report, which will
include a submission to the PFA - essential if the tunnel is to be modified
of course - and this I will have shortly.  The word has it that the inside
of the cockpit can be completely transformed in the tri-gear version of the
Europa.

Barry's time is not cheap, but if any budding trikers would like to help me
defray the costs of his report, I will then send them a full copy of his
findings, including the PFA submission, which should then enable a
hassle-free modification of the tunnel to be carried out.

Clearly, the bigger the interest, the lower the cost - this is estimated at
around =A3200 to myself, as an individual. But another triker, John Grant, has
"bought-in", so we're down to =A3100 each already!  The next taker will reduce
this to =A366 of course, and so it comes down with numbers.

Please let me know if you are interested - I can promise you that the word
"transformation" is not exaggerated.

David Dufton, Born-Again Triker