Re: installation of engine mounting frame

Subject: Re: installation of engine mounting frame
From: CPattinson@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 05:47:27

<< Current problem  - cross drilling top tubes when fitting frame into body.
I have a right angled drill adaptor which is a little gear box ( Bought at no
inconsiderable expense ) but this can only drill with a top clearance of over
1" - I need a method or tool that will drill at right angles at the top with
only ,say, half an inch between drill centre and the top. >>

I believe its probably impossible to drill the frame tubes from the inside.
We bought a right angle drill but to no avail on this occassion. Unless
somebody else knows better, i think you will have to consider guestimating
where the holes should be and drill them from the outside (ie through the
fuselage plates first, then through the frame). Provided you start with a
much smaller hole than the final one you should be able to correct any errors
in your first estimations before opening out the final holes.
If you try to drill the horizontal holes from the inside your chances of
getting them square are slim anyway. The vertical holes can not possibly be
drilled from the inside because of cross members getting in the way.

Our frame is also up at Kirbymoorside, which is probably why yours isnt
ready, or for that matter, ours. We are hoping Ivan or Andy will consider
bringing ours down to Shoreham next week. Sadly we bonded our frame in then
along came Mod 37 ! , so it had to come out again. We werent convinced about
the idea of doing the mod in situ.

Hope this helps,

Carl Pattinson.