Exp Bus Follow Up

Subject: Exp Bus Follow Up
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:32:04

I asked Control Vision to answer some queries about their Exp Bus DC Management
Unit
(see http://www.controlvision.com). They came back with answers which I am am
happy with.

Question: Under full load the EXp Bus could potentially be carrying 40 Amps.
Some
would say that a
bunch of wires and connectors is going to be better than a printed circuit board
under these
circumstances. What have you done to ensure that the Exp Bus can handle this
sort
of load?

> We have used massive traces with heavy copper plating, and our board can
> take well in excess of 60 amps of DC current (tested!)

Question:  Because the PCB could have some connectors or track exposed
is there a possibility that a short may occur resulting in catastrophic failure?

> Again, we thought of that.  The PC board is conformal coated with a
> resin, covering all traces and pads and  solder connections.  The
> terminals ARE exposed, as are all terminals in every spam can aircraft I
> have ever had the misfortune to venture under the instrument panel of...
>
> Really, if this is a concern, simply form an enclosure around the pc
> board with a piece of vinyl, or aluminum.  We considered an enclosure,
> but as all homebuilts are different, this was deemed to be impractical.
> >

> If you get the product, and are concerned that it won't
> perform safely, we will gladly return your money  [although shipping
> charges to NZ and back would be your gamble!!!)  Always remember that in
> an aircraft, you must be totally sure of the technology you are using, we
> understand that this is rule number 1!!!

Personally, I am far happier with solid state fuse technology as implemented on
the
Exp Bus than with circuit breakers or fuses. I think these guys have developed
a unit which will
considerably simplify electrical wiring homebuilders and is probably much more

reliable than hand wired looms.

Tony

Date: 10/25/96
Time: 14:32:05 New Zealand Summer Time (UTC +13)

Kaon Technologies - Building Tomorrow's Networks
PO Box 9830
Newmarket
Auckland          Ph +64 9 358 9124
New Zealand       Fx +64 9 358 9127