Re: RV-List: Magellan GPS 2000

Subject: Re: RV-List: Magellan GPS 2000
From: Frank van der Hulst <frankv@pec.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 12:10:57
As a subscriber to the RV-List (not the kitfox or europa lists), I didn't
receive the original. Anyone on those who lists who wants to continue
corresponding, please also include the RV-list or my address in the To:
line. Thanks... now, on to what I actually have to say:

> >Just read your nice article in the October Comanche Flyer and I agree
> >with most of what you wrote.  It seem less than economical to spend
> >two thousand dollars on a GPS when most of the same info can be obtained
> >on a much less expensive version. . . . . .
>
>   The operative words here are "most of the same" to which I would
>   add "most of the time."
>
> >the 2000 have adequate reception when being used "inside" the environs
> >of a Comanche, or whatever?  It's been my experience that if a GPS
> >does not have an externally mounted antenna, acquisition of
> >the required number of satellites is difficult.  I also understand
> >that an antenna kit is not available for the 2000, only the 4000,
> >and at a price of $139.99.

I have a Magellan GPS3000... I believe the 2000 is a cut-down version of
this, and can't have the external data, power, and antenna added. It also
has a few less internal features. My guess is that the GPS "engine" inside
all these models is the same.

I've used my 3000 in a plane (C172) on one trip (about 8 hours total),
running on battery and using the internal antenna. It was hopeless in the
rear seat, although if I put it in the luggage compartment it worked OK.
When I got to fly, I had it up front, held by my front-seat passenger.
Mostly it worked OK when held near the yoke, but if held up near the top of
the dash, it was fine all the time.

I've also used it in my car (gotta have your toys, y'know), mounted in a
bracket on top of the dash. It works fine there too.

>    In no way am I suggesting that inexpensive hand-helds are a
>    REPLACEMENT for the more expensive panel mounts or hand helds
>    with external antennas.

I'm partly disagree. I think/hope that a *well-chosen* inexpensive handheld
(ie one which allows external antenna, power, and data connections such as
the GPS3000) can be a suitable replacement for a panel mount. I've lost the
URL for now, but there was a recent posting to the glass-panel mailing list
which gave details of how to build your own GPS antenna (several different
ways, in fact). Some time, I'll give that a try. Same site had PC moving map
software.

>    The thrust of the article was to suggest
>    that pilots NOT PUT OFF buying a GPS receiver because they
>    cannot currently afford the one they want.  I'll further suggest that
>    a $200 hand-held can put the miracle of GPS navigation in IMMEDIATE
>    reach of everyone while they save up the bucks for their
>    "dream" receiver.

I'd suggest people buy the $250 model... then they may never need to buy the
"dream" receiver. Or a heap of alkaline batteries.

Frank.
--
frankv@pec.co.nz              | "Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass;
Frank van der Hulst           |  A good bookshop is just a genteel