Re: Contoured Rudder Tip

Subject: Re: Contoured Rudder Tip
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:52:33
Peter,
Thanks for replying to my mail about the leading edge of the rudder. I am
obviously suffering from not enough information so I am glad for this forum
to be able to air my doubts. As such, thanks for helping out a newcomer, and
I hope in the fullness of time to be able to do the same.
Regards
Tony Renshaw
The Aussie Connection

>I think the stepped tip you are refering to is the bit you have to file away to
>get the top leading edge of the rudder to fit within the fin shroud when rudder
>is deflected to port. This isn't a mod, but is necessary and refered to in the
>manual at the fuselage stage.
>
>The reason for this is because the angle of the rudder hinge is not
vertical but
>sloping aft towards the top, the rudder rises when deflected to port and lowers
>to starboard.
>
>How much to take off depends on what you have ended up with and is very much
>'trial & error'. I hope more trial than error.
>
>If you are at the rudder build stage, just make it up as per book and when you
>get to the fuselage stage set it up with clecos and see how much you have to
>take off to achieve the required 30 degrees deflection.
>
>When I was at the rudder stage I thought about not glassing it up until I
had an
>idea about how much of the foam to remove, but in the end I just made the
rudder
>and accepted the filing away and 'repair' as being the only realistic way of
>getting an accurate job.
>
>Don't worry about it at this stage (I have just seen that you're builder
No. 236