Chavenage Fly-In

Subject: Chavenage Fly-In
From: trevor.jackson@ndirect.co.uk
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 21:28:16
On Saturday 12th October the Europa Club will hold its second fly-in,
this time at Chavenage near Tetbury, Gloucestershire.

The gathering will begin at the airstrip at Chavenage with arrivals
throughout the day, with the possibility of some local flying around
Chavenage on Saturday.  The strip's location is 51=B040'N, 002=B012'W.
Elevation 550ft.  Runways 08L/26R; circuits to the south. The strip is
600m long, approx 25m wide.  Large power cables to the west: caution!
Avoid Gatcombe Park to the north and Highgrove House to the south
unless you have Royal connections. The strip is bounded to the north
and east by steep sided brook valleys and by woods to the north, all
of which can make approaches difficult under certain wind conditions.
Strip operator Martin Stoner recommends you contact him on 01666
504884(home), 0802 630721(mobile) for a briefing on conditions.  If
necessary Martin will meet aviators at Kemble to give a more detailed
briefing on flying in to the strip, or fly in with them if things are
really awkward.  Kemble's frequency is 118.9 Mhz, tel 01285 770077.

There'll be no catering at the strip but pub food is available a short
walk away.  Bring some food if you don't fancy the trek.  Hopefully
there will be plenty of Europas and other aircraft to look at, but
should you tire of this, you can try your hand at clay pigeon
shooting, or take a drive to the renowned Westonbirt Arboretum.

In the evening, we gather at Chavenage House for a gourmet dinner, =A322
per person.  The meal MUST be booked in advance to give the caterers a
chance to get the numbers right.  Please send cheque payable to the
Europa Club to me at 25 Seymore Road, Aston,Sheffield, S31 0DG.  If
you're intending to join us please book now; bookings stand at 32
definite, 20 probable.  Meet at 7.30, for dinner at 8.00, followed by
a tour and talk on this 15th century haunted house by David
Lowsley-Williams.

On Sunday morning we're invited to visit the premises of Aero
Developments Ltd, at Kemble airfield to see the range of NSI Subaru
engines, and check out their painting and interior trimming services.

Accommodation from B&B to luxury hotels is available in Tetbury, and
camping is available at the strip.  Please contact me if you need a
map or accommodation list, or have any other queries.

Trevor Jackson