Tailfin Strobes

Subject: Tailfin Strobes
From: John Bampfylde <jbamfyld@netlink.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:09:50
I am on the verge of ordering a Whelan strobe kit (power supply, cable and
strobe) from the ubiquitous Aircraft Spruce.  The catalogue implies there
are two routes to follow:
1.  Get a light power supply and have it close to the strobe, so that there
is a minimum of high voltage cabling.  This may cause C of G issues for a
tail strobe?
2.  Put the power supply nearer the C of G and have a length of high voltage
cable.

My inclination is to put the power supply behind the main bulkhead, and keep
the cable away from the radio co-ax (going to the radio aerial in the rudder
post)and the transponder aerial (location as yet unknown, but likely to be
underside mid way between bulkhead and fin?).

Is my thinking correct and this compromise will work and not foul up the
radio and transponder, or should I look at putting the power supply in the fin?

Regards,

John Bampfylde, #130