Re: Re: Fuselage Filling

Subject: Re: Re: Fuselage Filling
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 19:03:07
>>In spite of Graham 1's comment, they have been used for decades without
problems in the car and boat industries and no-one I have spoken to finds them
unsatisfactory,<<

Yes, but cars and boats don't normally have loose unreacted epoxy resin or
hardener floating about. (No one gets 100% stoichiometric ratios.) It is these
which attract the osmosis which causes the blisters. SP 302 HiBuild primer is an
epoxy, incidentally and seems to work well. If you must use polyester paints or
fillers use an epoxy barrier coat (very thin and never sanded) such as PPG DP40.
My Long EZ blistered first time round, like most other peoples. Second time I
used DP40 and it hasn't blistered after 5 years outside.
Graham