Re: Sensitisation

Subject: Re: Sensitisation
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:40:09
No-one seems to be rushing to answer your query, probably because the
severity differs so much from person to person and also it depends
whether you are at stage 1, epoxy, or stage 2 preparation and painting. A
builder near me has had to go to complete covering, divers suit style, to
avoid problems at Stage 1, which makes working very difficult.
My personal experience is that a dust mask (cheap DIY) and at least
glasses or goggles was sufficient at Stage 1, apart from Redux mixing
which is very irritant and the dust mask has to be replaced with a well
sealing vapour filter mask (see below).

For Stage 2, with continuous exposure to the highly volatile thinners and
hardeners, a full extraction helmet would seem to be required. Such are
expensive (300) at least for one-off use. I constructed one from a
plastic bin (got funny looks when trying them on in the stores!)
using a vacuum cleaner for extraction. It was too cumbersome with the
trailing pipe and difficult to see through for most of the work. I am now
using well fitting soft plastic goggles and the previously mentioned gas
filter mask (North RP 1620, approx 30). At first this mask seemed
difficult to put on, as you can't see the final strap attachment point
next to your nose, but you soon get used to it and a tug on the strap
makes a perfect fit with the fold-over soft edges it carries.

On occasions when I have had some emergency and taken it off in
mid-operation, the atmosphere as one might expect, depends markedly on
the conditions. With the garage end fully open you (or at least I) can
carry on spraying as long as you don't peer too closely. With the door
closed it's pretty well impossible if not dangerous.  But as I say, we're
all different. Incidentally dust problems disappear if you go to wet
sanding as soon as you can.

Good luck,

gemin