Europa to Aussie Costs

Subject: Europa to Aussie Costs
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 20:23:14
 As an expat Aussie living in the UK yearning after the space and sun,
     I'm considering heading back down under and starting a kit there.
     Can any of my compatriot builders tell me:

Sorry to the other readers but your e-mail didn't work direct for some reason!

Gidday from Downunder Richard,

The tail kit will cost you about $750.00 AUD to sea freight out. Then you'll
have to insure it which will cost about $52.00. Then customs clearances
which will be about $120.00, and road transport and its insurance increment
---From the port to your home. I recently got a quote from Europa for a part
share in a container for any future stages I may choose to purchase. The
tail kit by the way cost me $6000.00 approx(2900.00 Pounds).
A wing kit              3800.00 Pounds
Packing                 40.00
Crating                   115.00
Insurance               16.00
Delivery approx      423.00

Fuselage Kit            5200.00
Packing                   60.00
Crating                    435.00
Insurance                 21.00
Delivery                   696.00

If both purchased together
Wing kit                3800.00
Fuse  "                  5200.00
Packing                  100.00
Crating                 435.00
Insurance               36.00
Delivery                1078.00

If both were sent in a container
Wing kit                3800.00
Fuse  "                  5200.00
Packing                 160.00
Insurance               36.00
Delivery                700.00

The biggest problems Australian builders have had has been with damage
enroute i.e. in the "consolidated containers" ( a mixed container with other
shipping companies stores all combined)
Now that Europa are offering dedicated containering as an option this should
minimise damage.

I hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other queries, homever I fly
for Qantas and as such I spend a lot of time away, so it may take a few days
before I get a message, and then a few more occasionally to get around to
answering it.

Good luck in making a decision, but I'll give you a tip. "Find the money for
a tail kit and JUST BUY IT!! Then the next steps will be easier as you are
already on the bandwagon. This was my strategy anyway, as well as the fact
that I didn't want to retire in 20 years and be kicking myself that I never
commited to this aircraft building dream business!!!
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Builder No. 236