Fw: Electrical Wiring a Europa

Subject: Fw: Electrical Wiring a Europa
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:29:20
> I suspect that the crucial thing with interference from alternator
> whine etc. is  the screening of the Mike and Headset leads.
>These should be screened from the Intercom end and left open
>at the jack socket end. Think that's right. Check with Bob Nuckolls.

  Actually, MOST alternator whine gets into audio systems via ground
  loops.  The most common loop mode occurs when headset jacks and
  microphone jacks get grounded to airframe where they mount. Mount
  the jacks on a thin piece of fiberglas or better yet, use insulating
  extruded washers to keep the jacks from getting grounded to their
  metal mounting surface.  I have a few of these washers at $1.00 a
  set (one flat and one extruded washer for one jack).  I'm looking
  for a lower cost source and will feature them in our catalog which
  will publish later this year.

  Shielding can be useful for microphone and headset leads but
  for the most part, twisted pairs will suffice.  If the jacks are
  NOT insulated, no amount of shielding of wires will make any
  difference. You can use single twisted pairs for both headset and
  microphone jacks.  Carry push to talk (plug tip) and mic audio hi
  (plug ring) on the two wires . . . use shield as mic audio lo and
  push to talk return (plug sleeve).  Connect shield to jack common
  at jack end; to mic audio lo at radio or intercomm end.  I'd use
  22AWG twisted pair for headsets . . . no shielding needed.

  On the topic of shielding in general . . . use shielded wire
  only where manufacture recommends and/or supplies it with their
  product.  Strobes and audio systems commonly have some form of
  shielded wire. Magneto p-leads should be shielded as a matter of
  standard practice.  I don't think the ignition control leads from
  a rotax system carry any sharp, high voltage spikes . . . has anyone
  looked at these leads with a scope?  I suspect they don't require
  shielding.  Except for audio, strobes and an occasional mag, other
  forms of shielding are generally a waste of time, money and in
  some cases, creates noises that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

  Wait til you have a noise problem before taking action. (1) identify
  source (2) identify victim (3) identify propogation mode.  Then either
  (1) filter source (2) filter victim or (3) break propogation mode.
  Advance shielding of most wires prior to doing the "homework" is
  wasted effort.

  Bob . . .