Re: Rudder Pedal Clearance

Subject: Re: Rudder Pedal Clearance
From: CPattinson@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:51:21
In a message dated 13/07/96  01:04:01, Martin Tuck wrote

>I had assumed 40 mm from the rear face of the firewall but the outermost
>pedals
>touch the sides of the firewall first (as they curve down) - with about 60
mm
>go before the rear face of the firewall.
>
>Now it could be that the instructions mean 40 mm before the outer pedals
>touch
>the curved sides of the firewall, but this will decrease once the sound
>proofing
>(if fitted) and carpet is in place. Perhaps, just make sure there is
>clearance
>which allows full extreme of rudder travel no matter how 'vertical' the
>rudder
>pedals end up.
>
>Cutting an angle on the uppermost rudder pedal tube (where your toes go) to
>match the slope of the firewall would give more clearance and be OK as long
>as
>you don't go through the weld I guess.
>
>Any wisdom on the matter would be appreciated

Reporting from the Oxford chapter of the Europa club, it appears that rudder
pedal clearance is a universal problem. Both Ron Swinden and I had to trin
the ends of the rudder pedals to achieve some sort of clearance of the outer
firewall. Obviously the factory omits to mention this important detail.

Carl Pattinson
Kit 49