Re: Electric Fan Heaters

Subject: Re: Electric Fan Heaters
From: Peter Lert <plert@csn.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:54:53

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Graham Clarke wrote:

> I have used these with advantage throughout and nothing has gone bang  -
> but with most of them you can see that there are switch combinations
> (high watts, low fan setting) where the element starts to glow. This
> looks dangerous and presumably should be avoided. The ability to cut them
> on and off rapidly with multiple temp. sensors is invaluable, though no
> doubt other heating systems can be controlled this way too.
>
> gemin

        Something you all may wish to keep in mind re heat and fan
controls is that any of them that contain switches--particularly those
switching high current loads like heating elements--may create sparks of
their own when switching on and off (esp. the latter).  Be sure to use
sealed explosion proof switches.

shops over the years, some of them quite ramshackle--I don't know of any
that have blown up or burnt, fumes and dust and water heaters
notwithstanding.  This doesn't mean, of course, that mine may not be the
first...