Re: Control column movement

Subject: Re: Control column movement
From: dbosomworth@meto.gov.uk
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:54:06

Hello John, you wrote:-

>At the interesting stage of fitting the elevator controls, and was wondering
>about the minimum movement at the control column.  The instructions say thay
>after installing the stick to aileron connectors, the stick should move 8
>inches laterally and 10 fore and aft.  Should this be the same after
>installing the pitch controls?

        No. A bit later on you set up the all-flying tail to 12deg up
 4deg down (check the manual). Stops are built into the the pitch
 pushrod containment bulkead to keep the balance weight (and hence the
 pushrod/c.column) to these limits. Same with the ailerons, they will
 hit their own stops (in the bellcranks) before the control columns
 hit anything (apart from your legs)- but only when the wings are
 plugged in!

>Also, those of you flying or near to it, what movements do you have on the
>control column?  This may depend on how long the column is- is everyone
>sticking with the 15 inches?

        I have'nt measured the control column movements with
 everything plugged in and stops set up yet, i pass this one on to a
 lucky europa flyer; but its the stops that count, not just control
 column movement.

 chus, dave