"straight and level..."

Subject: "straight and level..."
From: Peter Lert <plert@csn.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:29:22
A couple of items regarding the Europa which will be built by Air
Progress and Sport Flying magazines here in the US:

1.)     I'm happy (actually, appalled, but as you'll see things worked
out all right) to report that the tail surfaces of our Europa have made
their first flight--and without even having to get built!

        Enroute from Lakeland to Colorado, the 4 x 5 x 2 foot cardboard
crate was literally sucked out of the pickup truck bed by the wake of a
passing semitrailer.  According to the pickup driver (thankfully, I
wasn't there to witness the incident, or I'd have had my medical revoked
for a coronary), the crate then formated nicely for about 200 feet on the
right side of the pickup (remember, we drive on the right here in the
Colonies), then _flared_ to a gentle landing on the shoulder.  Minor
abrasions and asphalt (tarmac, for you Brits) marks on the crate, but as
far as I can tell _no damage_ to the contents!  Please note that this
200-ft flight is fully 80 feet farther than the Wright Bros. first efforts...

Query: is Europa considering an optional damper for crated kits?

2.)     "On the level:"

        While (still) waiting for delivery of a ratio pump so I can get
on with things, I located an excellent digital level at a local
lumberyard cum builders' supply.  It's the "Pro SmartLevel," which I
believe may well be the same one that used to be advertised in the ASS
catalog.  The actual electronic module, which can be used as a
"standalone" torpedo level, cost me $90; beams are available in 24, 48,
and 78 inch lengths at about a dollar an inch (less for the longest one).

        Seems a great little gadget, accurate to 0.1 degree, easily reset
and recalibrated (i.e. you can choose any arbitrary angle as zero if
desired), various other features.

        The reason I'm making such a fuss about this is that I'm
tentatively supposed to ferry a Beech Baron to the UK later this month.
If these levels are really so hard to obtain in Blighty, I could possibly
order a few of them here and bring them along, hopefully avoiding any
major Customs hassle.  Planning to enter the country at Prestwick or
Glasgow, but I could probably drop in at Wombleton to drop them off!  If
anyone is really desperate for one, email me at plert@csn.org and we'll
see what we can set up.