Hints and tips - Knife Trimming

Subject: Hints and tips - Knife Trimming
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 21:53:46
Hints and Tips - Knife Trimming

Recent correspondance on the subject has reminded me that I was going to post a
tip that I found it better to wait until the epoxy had cured until cutting
surplus material off with a hacksaw blade.

Rather than using a Junior hacksaw I found I had better control of the blade
having first mounted it in one of those hand-held handle type things made for
the purpose of holding standard hacksaw blades. This is also useful for trimming
around the fuselage cut lines when you get to that stage. (My helpful neighbor
on hearing all the sawing offered to lend me his 10 inch circular saw - needless
to say his offer was politely declined).

The reason I would recommend waiting - apart from getting a more accurate cut is
that at the leather stage the force needed for a blade cut has a tendancy to
bend the cut into the foam a little which, particularly with end rib flange
close-ups means a bit more filing/preparation to ensure a properly bonded edge
with no appearance of de-laminating (edge-on air-bubble).

Hope this helps,

Regards

Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas