Re: Height of Europa pilot?

Subject: Re: Height of Europa pilot?
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 20:54:06
I am around 6'2+ and thought the Europa was no problem until I fitted
upholstery. I can just about get away with 2" foam but anyone taller will
definitely have a problem as the seatback and pedal positions are
immutable. If your length is in the legs, you could cut away the
instrument strip at the bottom of the module (using a digital display
elsewhere instead) to make room for the knees. If your length is in the
body then perhaps inclining the seat base towards the middle would help.
The seats are after all forced towards the outside by the  central
tunnel, and you can lean over quite a bit before you hit the top of the
doors. Better find a tilted runway to match !

If your passenger is similarly endowed, you will look like a couple of
budgerigars, but the combined weight is getting formidable then anyway.
I seem to remember the fighter of the future was going to have a prone
pilot, in which case you could remove the D panel closing off the rear
fuselage,  park the legs in there and fit a periscope ? (:-))

gemin