Re: Under skin Aerials/conduits etc.

Subject: Re: Under skin Aerials/conduits etc.
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 18:12:00

Tony Renshaw wrote:.

>Dear Richard,
>
>Any tips on the installation of your conduits, and detail on what a "BNC
>Connector" is, would be great. Could you ask your partner in crime to
>elaborate for the uneducated about your aerial under the wing skin. I am
>only up to the tail stage, but am keen to archive all pertinent tips for the
>appropriate time. The wing kit I hope to order soon to have the glasswork
>done by the end of  the Southern Hemisphere winter,so that all  I have to
>worry about is temperature control and not also humidity.
>Thanks in anticipation.

The BNC thing has been answered I think

Dave, my partner ,replies:

We fitted our diploe VOR antenna on the top surface of the right
hand wing.  The VOR transmissions are horizontally polarised and
therefore need a horizontal antenna.  The dimensions are, for each
leg, 0.63 metres, assuming a band centre of 113MHz and a "fudge
factor of 0.95.   The two legs of the dipole are angled at about
110 degrees to make the antenna less sensitive to direction.
Separate the two ends of  the antenna legs at the middle by no
more than 10mm.  Our antenna is made from copper strip, about 15 mm
wide; neither this, nor the thickness is critical (they have an
effect on bandwidth)

Installation is easy - mark out the antenna on the foam, then sand
in a recess a little thicker than the copper foil.
stick the copper foil in with double sided sticky tape and solder
the ends to the inner core and outer screen of the coax.  Fill
over the top and sand flat carefully if necessary.

Good Luck

Regards
Richard Meredith-Hardy         TEL + 44 (0)1462 834776
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net        FAX + 44 (0)1462 732668
CIS: 100071,2422

Check out the British Microlight Aircraft Association at
http://www.avnet.co.uk/bmaa/bmaa.htm