RST-Plastic airplane antennas

Subject: RST-Plastic airplane antennas
From: dbosomworth@meto.govt.uk
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 17:29:48
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 23:21 +0000 (GMT)
From: dbosomworth@ccmail.meto.govt.uk

Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 23:08 +0000 (GMT)
From: dbosomworth@ccmail.meto.govt.uk

 Hello all,
        Found RST, did'nt get the url but probably something like
 http://www.rst-engineer.com. If it does'nt work browse YAHOO for
 'homebuilt'. email is:   rst-engr@oro.net  .

 chus, dave
 kit67

                     >> PLASTIC AIRPLANE ANTENNAS <<

 Away back in 1978 the homebuilt airplane world was a-changin'.  Wood
 and
 metal were giving way to glass and foam.  The Rutans, the Jewetts,
 the
 Rands, and the Monetts of the world were starting to pour airplanes
 out of
 plastic bottles.  A young engineer  fresh from the world of
 hidden
 antennas on "spook" stealth airplanes and Lunar Landing Modules
 convinced
 the new designers that the old world of porcupine antenna spines out
 in the
 slipstream was as out of date as silk scarves and grade-A cotton.
 You see,
 fiberglass and resin are as transparent to radio waves as air, so
 there was
 no reason to put a drag-stick outside the airplane skin when the
 antenna
 elements could just as easily and as efficiently be put underneath
 the
 skin.

 The question has always been asked -- how MUCH do you save in drag
 by
 hiding the antennas?  I can't give you a hard answer for your
 airplane
 without doing a lot of calculations, but we DID do the work on
 Voyager and
 came up with an answer of somewhere around 60 gallons of fuel saved
 during
 the round-the-world flight.  I won't tell you that your airplane
 will save
 this 5% in drag, but it will be somewhere around this number --
 depending
 on the cruise speed and the number of antennas your savings will be
 somewhere between 2% and 8% of the total drag of the airplane.

 As with all good things, after I published a few articles to show
 you all
 how to do antennas yourself, the suede shoe gang decided to get in
 on the
 act.  You can buy "plastic plane antennas" anywhere from the $5 or
 so I
 charge up to hundreds of dollars for antennas with "magic
 properties" that
 are "hidden in epoxy" and "tuned to the airframe".  Horsefeathers.
 An old
 antenna teacher of mine once said that antennas start with a
 spaghetti
 noodle in a copper septic tank and things only get better from
 there.
 Anybody that tells you that they have a better airplane antenna than
 copper tape dipole is just not tellin' you straight.

 One of the people that want to sell you hundred dollar antennas
 poo-poohs
 my "ferrite donuts" or toroids (TOW-roids) as useless.  "He tested
 them"
 and
 found that "they don't do anything".  When further pressed at
 Oshkosh a few
 years ago, he admitted that his "test equipment" consisted of
 sliding a
 piece of tinfoil up and down the feedline and watching for a change
 on his
 "power meter".  Sort of sounds like the self-proclaimed "CB" expert,
 doesn't
 it?  Do you know the funny part?  He tested it at the center
 frequency of
 the antenna where the toroids actually DO nothing.  They are only
 active as
 you move away from band center and compensate for reflected power at
 the
 band edges.  They BROADBAND the antenna, but do nothing in the
 center of
 the band.

 OK, here's the truth of it.  The ferrite donuts act as nothing more
 or less
 than a very efficient low-loss "balun".  A balun does nothing more
 than
 matching a BALanced antenna to an UNbalanced feedline (hence the
 name bal-
 un).  In the direct-connected dipole that we use, the balun does
 nothing
 more than keeping reflected power from travelling down the outside
 of the
 coax back to your radio -- or in the case of a receiver, from the
 input
 stage of your radio back out to the antenna.  In either case, the
 little
 chunks of powdered iron prevent unwanted radiation from the outer
 surface
 of the coaxial cable braid.  Think of it like the iron core noise
 filter
 you put on your alternator line.  It lets the direct power through
 and
 strips off the noise.  All we are doing is that same strip-the-noise
 routine at a much higher frequency.

 To those who say that iron machine nuts will do the same thing as
 toroids
 just doesn't understand much about the behavior of ferrite material
 at VHF.
 It took us the better part of three months of design and experiment
 select the size, ferrite recipe, and number of toroids that
 optimizes match
 and minimizes loss.  After all this, we sell it to you for $5 an
 antenna --
 hardly an amount calculated to keep us in champagne and caviar.

 Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, let me make a
 suggestion.
 If you are doing a homebuilt airplane from scratch, buy the antenna
 reference text, a 100' roll of tape, and a bag of 20 toroids.  For
 less
 than $40 (including shipping) you have enough antenna material for
 your
 entire airplane if you covered every available surface with
 antennas.  Or,
 when you get done, sell the remaining part of the copper tape roll
 and the
 text to a friend who, for a $7.50 bag of toroids, will have enough
 material
 to install another complete airplane antenna system.

 ANTENNA REFERENCE TEXT
 RST-802
 Price $5.00

 Over the years, we've written some two hundred articles on all
 aspects of
 aviation electronics.  Seven of them are directly concerned with the
 design
 and construction of "plastic plane antennas".  We've collected these
 articles into a small booklet which we have reprinted for your
 convenience.
 There is nothing that we know about plastic airplane antennas that
 is not
 in this booklet.

 COPPER TAPE ANTENNA MATERIAL
 RST-2800 (100' roll)
 Kit Price $20.00
 RST-2801 (10' strip)
 Kit Price $5

 The antenna reference text shows the use of copper tape for the
 aircraft
 antenna elements.  We have chosen this tape because it (a) solders
 easily,
 (b) is "stickyback" and adheres well to foam, wood, and fiberglass,
 and (c)
 is relatively inexpensive.  Not only that, but copper is by far the
 best
 possible antenna element material with the exception of sterling
 silver --
 and if you can afford silver antennas, you are sort of out of our
 league.
 It takes about 4' of tape for a VHF NAV or COM antenna, 1.5' for a
 glideslope, and 7' for a marker beacon antenna.

 FERRITE TOROIDS
 RST-2801 (bag of 20)
 Kit Price $7.50

 It takes 3 toroids to make a single antenna, so a bag of 20 lets you
 make 6
 antennas with 2 toroids left over.  Y'know?  An AM-FM "music radio"
 antenna
 is such a noncritical antenna I'll bet that those leftover 2 toroids
 will
 do just fine to make one of these antennas.  How long to make an
 AM-FM
 antenna?  Whatever you have left over on the airframe AFTER the
 required
 aircraft antennas are installed -- anywhere from 2 inches to 2 yards
 long
 (the longer the better for AM reception).