antenna ???

Subject: antenna ???
From: RonSwinden@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 17:36:34
Dear all.   theorising about aerials is just about the most non consumating
sport I have ever watched.  Please can someone who really knows about such
things tell us how long the bits of copper tape that we stick in our a/craft
tails need to be to give us a reasonable preformance over the band that we
operate in. Is it really necessary to invent a new sized wheel for every
Europa??  The  Europa instructions recomend the use of an SWR meter to fix
the length of the dipole then glass it in but G L comments the glass is a
lossy? material which presumably means that the glass cover will modify the
tuning that we did before the glassing? at which point futher tuning will be
difficult if not immpossible.I pass. Help somebody gimme a length that I can
measure with a rule and which has a fair chance of working with a reasonable
level of efficiency.  I'll settle for that.Ron No 33