RE: Sun&Fun

Subject: RE: Sun&Fun
From: John Grant <grantdes@ayla.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 19:15:14

>Looks like Europa builder attendence will be good.

Just got back, went out with Dave Dufton.

The Europa stand was getting a lot of interest and kits were ordered.

G-ELSA (Now N numbered) was flown every day both as a demonstrator and also
as part of the daily airshow.  Pete Clarke gave a superb daily display,
elegantly and silently flown showing the Europa's aero capabilities to the full.

His display started with a four turn spin and included loops rolls and even
a flick roll. Quite superb.

Interesting to note that none of the other similar kitplanes (KIS, Glasstar
etc.) did anything other than a fly-by, presumably because they have not
been spin tested (not a requirement for experimental class). We asked both
of those manufacturers if they had done any spin testing and both said 'not yet'

The NSI (Suberu) stand was very busy. We spent time looking at other Suberu
converters but nothing came anywhere near the quality of the NSI outfit.
They also had avery nice VP prop hub, beautifully engineered to handle up to
180 HP and we saw a new development model for 100 HP which is lighter and
due out in about 3 months.  It seems that an NSI engine/VP prop combination
could be a viable alternative to the Rotax engine. (Always providing the
spin testing is successful).

The Europa tent was always busy with the video show and kit parts and even
Sun & Fun Europa Tee shirts on sale.

Ivan and the American team were kept busy all the time with interested 'punters'

Graham Singleton finally made it there being unable to hire a car (driving
licence still in UK!)

The builders dinner was well attended and next year will need a much bigger
venue.

Well worth visiting.  The prices for aircraft parts and tools are well below
UK prices.  Booths full of AN bolts, nuts, rivets, drill bits, fixings, in
many cases sold by the pound.  A large part, if not all the travel costs
could be recovered by buying instruments and radios there.

How about a Europa club excursion next year? Might be able to get group
booking rates, mabee even charter a plane ;~)

Cheers

John Grant (55)