Foam gaps in fuselage

Subject: Foam gaps in fuselage
From: Peter Davis <101621.3070@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:16:12
Thought everyone would be ecstatic to know that I spent today filling the gaps
between the edges of some of the foam sandwich cores in the fuselage with redux,
thanks to a friendly Vet who gave me a very large syringe.

In addition to what I have mentioned in a previous missive about my reservations
re. leaving these gaps unfilled, when injecting the redux into the gaps I found
that in many places it bled through the outer skin in not insubstantial amounts,
thereby indicating that in the places where there is no foam between the skins
the glass tends to be too dry and has airholes between the plies.

This shows that these areas are even weaker than previously suspected. For those
who have already put their lids on the problem can easily be attacked from the
outside with the aid of a light inside the fuselage. However, a paint finish
will make things harder.

Regards,

Peter

PS - For all going to Staverton, have a happy and instructive weekend.
Unfortunately my wife arranged a holiday for a week in Malta, leaving on Sat.
13th. and I am obliged to go, but my thoughts will be with you all.