Resin Balance

Subject: Resin Balance
From: Tony Krzyzewski tonyk@kaon.co.nz <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 15:24:17

Having spent an enjoyable day building my resin balance I couldn't
resist the temptation to add a high tech add on .

Unless you use the balance at eye level there is always a danger that
parallax will result in an incorrect measurement. I could have added
a mirror behind the level marker like is found on multimeters however
this would still mean that I would have to bend down every time I
wanted to measure resin.

What I have done is added an electronic detector that lights up an
LED when the balance is level. Now all I need to do is pour and wait
until the light comes on.

The construction is fairly simple. Ensure that the 'spike' you are
using for a level pointer protrudes past the vertical board you are
using as a reference. I used a 16" drill bit for my pointer!

Mount an infra red LED and an opto dectector so that the spike passes
between the two. I used a ULN3330Y as the detector as it includes a
regulator, amplifier and detector all in one 3 pin package. To
increase the sensitivity of the detector I glued a short length of
narrow tube over the front and then painted the whole thing black.

Wire the output of the detector to a conveniently mounted LED, adjust
until you are satisfied and voila, one electronic resin balance.

I have tested mine thoroughly and it has a resolution equivalent to
one NZ 10c coin (about the size of a 5p piece).

Now, how about an electronic pip pin detector? :-)

Tony
Europa #272
Sent from Tony Krzyzewski's roaming computer
somewhere on the planet earth.

Reply To  tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Visit     http://www.kaon.co.nz